Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Activity

Today Connie and I went to the cemetary to place flowers at my mothers grave.  This is an activity that I have never done, for why would someone spend time and effort to visit the the site of the deceased?  Now I know...  There is a feeling of peace and a sense that we may be on holy ground.  The scene at the cemetary was that of those who have lost and those who are not forgotton with thousands of florals, pinwheels and flags, each telling a story.  Family and friends gathering around a headstone and sharing stories.  I was moved to see Connie kneel down and gently brush away grass and debris, taking scissors and trimming around the stone, pouring water and cleaning it as though it were a fragile piece of china then arranging the flowers.  Sometimes we get so caught up with life that we forget those who gave us life and those who gave us our freedoms... It was a great day.



No comments: